The InGAME Research and Development (R&D) Centre, based at the Vision Building in the heart of the Dundee videogames cluster, will act as the hub for a wealth of R&D opportunities.
R&D Voucher Scheme
InGAME will collaborate with the industry partners and the local cluster to deliver world leading research and development through the R&D Voucher Scheme. Cutting across game design and development and technological and business innovation, the vouchers support Proof of Concept assessment and rapid prototyping to deliver new products, services and experiences and enhance dynamism, sustainability and value-creation in the cluster. We will welcome voucher applications that seek to explore innovation in the following topics:
- Usability and Interaction
- Narrative, play and performance
- Data-driven game design
- Design thinking and sustainable creativity
R&D voucher calls commence in July 2019 and we welcome expressions of interest from registered enterprises in the Dundee area. Successful submissions will see you assigned a dedicated InGAME R&D Fellow, who will work with you to define your R&D priorities and prepare your application. Applications are assessed by an independent panel at quarterly intervals and feedback is provided.
InGAME Innovation Sprints are creative, fast-paced, mission-oriented responses to strategic challenges set by Challenge Champions. Our Champions come from a diversity of sectors, all united by one thing: a recognition of the unique innovation potential of games and play. You’ll work with them to imagine, design and realize proof-of-concept demonstrators that represent the first step in solving difficult problems and realising emerging opportunities. And you do that by harnessing your creative superpowers, working in collaboration with other superstars in cross-functional teams.
Challenge Champions are already in the pipeline for the following sectors:
- Clean Energy
- Security and Defence
- Theatre and Performanc
Events, Training Programmes, Workshops and Masterclasses
InGAME is curating a programme of events aimed at supporting the Dundee Games Industry to fulfil its potential:
- Investor Showcases allow companies to present innovative products, services and experiences generated through InGAME collaborations. The aim of Investor showcases is to promote commercialisation of new projects by bringing products closer to market and create benefits of scale to investors, publishers, commissioners and platform holders.
- Knowledge Sharing Events create the environment for local games studios to share their intelligence, experiences and learning with each other. InGAME is also developing a strand of cross-sector engagement events to inspire opportunity creation for the cluster, with emerging ideas of sufficient scale flowing back into the InGAME voucher scheme.
- Responsive training programmes combining established business development programmes with practitioner training delivered by platform and technology partners, CPD for specialist functions (for example, user data analysis, QA, localisation, marketing) and local, industry- led training is also in development.
Technology Test Beds
InGAME will provide access to emerging technologies through its dedicated lab within the InGAME R&D Centre. The aim of the test beds is to:
- Develop early guidance on the use cases and best practices for emerging technologies and practices
- De-risk the assessment and rapid prototyping of innovative products, services and experiences
- Exploit emerging technologies and early-mover advantage
- Encourage investment into the cluster through the establishment of & emerging technology sandboxes where international partners can research, prototype and test content.
Studio space and Hot-desking
InGAME offers short term residency within its R&D Centre for individuals, project teams, academics and students looking to work in a state-of-the-art studio and technology lab. Requests can be made through our expression of interest form.