What is the InGAME Collaborative R&D Voucher Scheme?
The Collaborative R&D (CR&D) Voucher Scheme responds to the needs of the Dundee videogames cluster by unlocking access to research and development expertise, state-of-the-art R&D resources and diverse talent to collaborate on small scope, high impact R&D experiments that help validate new ideas and de-risk innovation opportunities. The Scheme issues vouchers unlocking up to £50,000 of R&D support (non monetary award).
Organizations can apply for CR&D Vouchers to explore and test new concepts, tools, technologies, processes, platforms and business models. The scheme is open to individual games professionals/companies, media companies and other organizations seeking to develop novel ideas and technologies, products and services that engage games development or games developers.
Successful CR&D voucher applicants retain full ownership of any intellectual property generated from the collaboration, with a royalty free license granted to InGAME and its partners for the purposes of anonymised research.
Who should apply?
The R&D Voucher Scheme is designed to empower organisations engaged in – or with – game development in the Dundee videogames cluster to innovate and/or grow. Applicants eligible to apply include:
- Start-ups (pre- and post-incorporation) and university spin-outs
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)*
- Third sector organisations
- Public sector organisations
However, anyone can submit an Application to the voucher scheme, providing they:
- Have their main company operations in the UK or are individuals based and eligible to work in the UK
- Propose an R&D collaboration concerned with game development, game developers or media enterprise
- Propose an R&D collaboration with InGAME that creates value for the Dundee videogames cluster**.
* InGAME uses the definition of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) set out in the European Commission Recommendation of 6 May 2003, which defines upper ceilings for SMEs consisting of: a headcount of no more than 250 employees; and/or company turnover under 50 million Euros (or equivalent in British Pounds).
* *The Dundee videogames cluster covers the Tay Cities Region, using the council areas of Angus, Dundee, Fife and Perth & Kinross as a contextual boundary.
Vouchers in Progress
Since the scheme launched in 2019, we have issued seventeen InGAME Collaborative R&D Vouchers to individuals and companies who are looking to take their products and services beyond the business as usual.
In 2021, we will begin showcasing our work on our website alongside free toolkits to help the Dundee videogame cluster increase in scale and value. For more information on previously successful applicants, please check our news section for information on Round 1, Round 2 and Round 3 voucher awards.